James F. Humphreys & Associates, L.C.
Call now for further information & a free consultation
Local: 304-881-0652
Toll Free: 877-341-2595

Can I file a lawsuit after a slip and fall accident?

When you walk onto someone else's property, you expect that the owner of the property has properly maintained the premises. Unfortunately, this is not always the case. Many negligent property owners in West Virginia fail to make their property safe for visitors or ignore dangerous conditions until it's too late.

Slip and falls can occur due to a number of property conditions, including slippery flooring, uneven carpeting or poor lighting. These property hazards can cause visitors to slip and fall and suffer a serious injury as a result.

If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident, you may be wondering if you have grounds for a lawsuit. In short, if another party's negligence caused your injuries, the answer is probably yes. Before filing a lawsuit, you should be aware of what courts expect you to prove in order to rule in your favor. First, you must establish that there is in fact a negligent party responsible for your accident and that it did not occur solely due to your own negligence. Next, you must show that the owner or possessor of the property created the dangerous condition that caused your accident or knew of the condition but refused to fix it. If the condition existed for a while, you can prove that the owner should have known about it and corrected it before your accident occurred.

If you can establish that a property owner, possessor or business employee caused your injuries by being negligent, you may have a strong case for damages. Whether you are shopping for groceries or stopping by a friend's house, you are entitled to have a safe experience. If you are injured, filing a lawsuit may be the best way for you to recover compensation to cover your medical expenses and other accident-related costs.

Source: FindLaw, "Slip and Fall Accidents Overview," accessed on March 28, 2017

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

How Can We Help?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Contact Information

112 Capitol Street
2nd Floor
Charleston, WV 25301

Phone: 304-347-5050
Fax: 304-347-5055
Map & Directions