James F. Humphreys & Associates, L.C.
Call now for further information & a free consultation
Local: 304-881-0652
Toll Free: 877-341-2595

Fatal car crash leaves woman dead and husband grieving

In big cities throughout the country, like Charleston, pedestrians are a common sight on the streets and sidewalks. Under West Virginia law, all drivers must be careful to operate their vehicles so as not to harm other people, including pedestrians. Moreover, pedestrians typically have the right-of-way at marked crosswalks throughout the city.

Roughly two months ago, a pedestrian in nearby Huntington was hit by a car when she crossed the street. The 60-year-old woman was allegedly walking across the street to get a drink for her hospitalized husband. After she was hit, she underwent treatment at the hospital but she ultimately died from the injuries.

Following the fatal car crash, the woman's husband filed a lawsuit against the driver of the vehicle. The lawsuit alleges that the driver was carelessly operating her car and hit his wife, which caused his wife's death.

In his complaint, the husband argues that his wife's estate suffered expenses related to her funeral and for her care at the hospital. In addition, the man claims that he suffered mental anguish, loss of companionship, and other related damages.

When a victim dies due to another person's negligence, a close family member can file a wrongful death lawsuit on behalf of the victim's estate. Through this legal action, the victim's estate may be able to collect compensation for pain and suffering and medical expenses. In turn, the victim's heirs can then collect from the estate.

Losing a loved one is never easy and it can be especially painful when the death comes suddenly because of someone else's negligent actions. While nothing can replace the loss of a loved one, the victim's family members should understand their legal options.

Source: The West Virginia Record, "Man sues Huntington resident for wife's death," Kyla Asbury, Nov. 13, 2013

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

How Can We Help?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Contact Information

112 Capitol Street
2nd Floor
Charleston, WV 25301

Phone: 304-347-5050
Fax: 304-347-5055
Map & Directions